21 May, 2008

The Blind Identifying Money

Recently, the American Council has taken greater issue with the fact
that blind individuals are unable to access paper money in the United
States. The treasury is saying that they do not need to replace the
money with something that is more accessible because it costs money, and
that money can be spent on other things such as educating the blind.
Organizations such as the National Federation of the Blind has
stated that they, although condoning the lack of accessibility, support
the treasury in their decision because blind individuals have used other
means of identifying their money such as folding it.
And still others say that blind individuals do not need their money
to be accessible because there is technology out there that allows the
blind individual to tell what money he/she has.
First, there are other countries that have accessible currency, so
why can't the United States?
Second, just because I can fold my money, I don't want to hold up the
line asking the Cashier to tell me what bills he/she has handed me.
Finally, why should I have another piece of technology just to tell what
money I have? I carry a phone, a computer, a cane, and other devices
already. Why is it that I have to carry another piece of technology just
to be able to scan a bill and it can tell me that it is a five? And,
would this not be a waste of time? Should I stand there in line, pull
out my piece of technology with a pair of headphones, plug it in, pull
out my wallet, and go through every single bill just to find the one
that says five?
If other countries have adapted their currency to aid the visually
impaired, why can't the US?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Leave Your Comments Here!!